History of Athlacca National School
The history of schools of the parish of Dromin-Athlacca is well documented in Mainchín Seoighe’s history of “Dromin and Athlacca – The Story of a Rural Parish in Co. Limerick.”
Hedge schools existed in the Dromin-Athlacca area as early as the 1790s. Mainchín Seoighe details that the first National School under the supervision of the National School Board of Education was established in the parish of Dromin in 1854. Athlacca’s first National School, built in 1859, is now the Muintir na Tíre Parish Hall. This school was replaced by our present school, which opened for the first time in September 1938. There were three teachers Mr. Daly, Mrs. Carmody and Mrs. Keary. In 1972 Dromin National School was closed and amalgamated with Athlacca National School. Following the amalgamation the school was refurbished and extended. In 2012 extensive refurbishment was carried out. Two additional classrooms were built in 2014.